26.12.09

Christmas Eve at Tenwek

530p 24.12.09 -

I'm finishing up in the NICU, seeing just a few more crazy small babies before heading home. We've got plans for Micah Cropsey's 1 year old birthday, and a McCropder dinner and caroling session at 600p. It looks like I should have plenty of time.

"Mass casualty," the nurse says, all too calmly.

I look at the pediatrician "Again?" he says. Again?

Now, I don't want to appear ignorant, but sometimes the truth is hard to hide. "Um, what's going on?"

"Come on, were going to Casualty (i.e. the ER). There's been a big bus accident."

What followed was, at the very least, instructive. Apparently what happens when a "mass casualty" occurs in our cachement area of Kenya is that they pretty much call every doctor, and we all meet in Casualty. I arrived to find the Family Practice docs, the pediatrician, a few surgeons, some OBGYNs, some orthopods, and a slew of interns, residents, and PAs. I also found the first and most severe victim of the accident, who was likely the most mutilated human I've ever seen that was still sitting up, talking, and even flailing around. (Details upon request only)

And then everyone set to work. Xrays were ordered, pupils checked, antibiotics hung, wounds cleaned, and the worst of them taken to theatre (OR). Being as green as I am, I chipped in, but wasn't as busy (or useful) as the veterans, so I had a moment to observe.

I know these professionals, and I know that they want desperately to be with their families on Christmas Eve. But they and their families have been changed by the incarnation of the Son of God, by a baby who caused Mary a good bit of inconvenience, but who bore much much more. There was great need, and so at great cost, God has come and brought salvation. And so do his followers. Regardless of whether they were on call, they were here to meet need, and they bore it with joy. As it turned out, many of the patients went off to another hospital, so our influx was somewhat shortened, and most everyone got home within a few hours. However, no one knew that at the beginning, and yet there was no grumbling, just a desire to make sure that care was delivered, and needs met, as best as could be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love keeping up with your days in Kenya. You should get a package from us soon. Love, the Renkes' (dear friends of June,Gene and your parents, Eric.)