3.2.21

How the body suffers.


The other day I started getting lower back pain after a fairly hard run through the hills (OK - hard for me...not the barefoot 6-year-old's running alongside me).  My lower back hurts because I've pulled a muscle in my hip. It seems like it got out of sorts after my left knee started hurting.  My left knee hurts because my left quad is tight. My leg is tight because there is scar tissue from our attack last year. 




As I was limping through the last few kilometers (of a total of maybe 8....let's not be too impressed) I started reflecting on the words of Paul, when he echoes Jesus teaching about the body of Christ


Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. I Cor 12:12


I think my whole life I have interpreted that passage as a reminder to me that all are important. That janitors are no less important than research virologist. That a young girl who stutters is no less capable of spreading God's message than a pastor full of charisma with a huge following (OK - I personally am more likely to have to  be reminded that a lot of the mega-church pastors ARE capable of spreading a message of unselfish love)


And that message is there, as Paul continues: 

"For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so, the body is not made up of one part but of many. Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact, God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty,  while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other."


It shows us that we each have a role to play, that all parts are required, that some we think are less important are in fact really important. 

If one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? Now eagerly desire the greater gifts


We all have a job to do, we all do different things, and love ('the greater gift') is the thing that we should really all aim for (as Paul leads up to the next chapter, 1 Cor 13 - which has to be the most widely cited chapter on love in the whole Bible)

But as I was running, I realized something else. 

In the verses above- I omitted one small phrase that lands in the middle of this section, the first half of verse 26:

If one part suffers, every part suffers with it

It's not just that we should avoid thinking more highly of one part. I think my individualistic western mind has always gone to that part and ignored the communally oriented parts THAT ARE RIGHT THERE.


If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.


I no longer think "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it"  is prescriptive, telling us what to do (if someone suffers, you ought to feel bad, or you should try to feel empathy).

 I now see it as descriptive, telling us what does happen (if someone else suffers you WILL suffer, you DO suffer).


If all followers of Jesus are as connected as interrelated parts of a single body (and Paul just said we are...so if you have issues, I guess take them up with him) then it's not possible that one part is hurting and it doesn't eventually affect the rest.

Maybe there is a clever insight here that in the same way my back doesn't hurt until I run,  the body of Christ may not feel the pain of a certain part that suffers unless it's active and doing something. 


I guess the reality is if one part is suffering, it IS making the rest suffer. The question is are we attuned to that. Are we paying attention? 

Most days, after I run I can feel stiffness in my left hip/back/leg/knee if I'm sitting and pay attention. Or I can ignore it and push through. 

Either I can realize that one part is suffering, and if I pay attention, and give it what it requires (a bit more stretching, etc) then it can return (hopefully) to its normal functioning state, and the body overall will not suffer in the same way. (but...let's be honest...I'm 46.  Running on these uneven dirt paths up and down rolling hills is always going to cause some discomfort)


Maybe this means we need to sometimes just sit, be quiet, be still, and listen. Pay attention to the other parts of the body. Pay attention to those parts that may be suffering that we 'can' ignore if we want. Pay attention to our brothers and sisters who have suffered, been hurt, and continue to be neglected (by us).


If the body is to work well, it needs every part. Not just because it's a nice sentiment about community and inclusivity, but because the reality is we NEED each part to work. If some parts suffer - we need to pay attention.



No comments: