29.11.09

What Would You Pack - Part 2

The Faders are packed and ready to fly to Kenya.

I have concluded that packing for a move to Africa can be particularly challenging for someone of Dutch heritage. I, Heather, am 100 percent Dutch, which means that I have been genetically and culturally preprogrammed for extreme thriftiness.

This causes trouble in that I tend to resist throwing things away and leaving things behind. We Dutch people don’t throw away anything that could still serve a purpose. My father reuses his plastic sandwich bags until they disintegrate. I still run in a sweatshirt that I acquired when I was in 4th grade. It is now 23 years old and unraveling. I thought I should bring it to Kenya, but Jason put his foot down.

In addition to thriftiness, Dutch folks also have a tendency towards caution and preparedness. My parents never let the gas gauge fall below half full. I always keep a stockpile of household necessities, because we Dutch never run out of anything; we wouldn’t want to have to pay full price if we ever bought anything in a pinch.

It seems that these Dutch traits do not encourage the process of condensing one’s belongings down to twelve suitcases. But we did it. Now I really hope that all twelve pieces of luggage will arrive in Nairobi with us on Tuesday.

In other news, Abi is doing GREAT. Here is a picture of how happy she is about heading to Kenya tomorrow.

9 comments:

Carrie said...

By the time you read this, you'll be in Kenya! How exciting! God bless your family!

Em said...

Glad you were able to complete your packing successfully. I will be praying for your luggage to arrive complete and safe.

Em

Jennifer Alberts said...

Hoping for safe travels, can't wait for updates! BTW very cute pics of the girls!

Kara said...

I think that I can picture that running sweatshirt. :) Hope all goes well with your travels and as you settle in to your new home.

shannon said...

I wish I was coming with you! This desire in my heart to return to Africa won't quiet. I love your blog and love the families you're traveling with. I hope to meet them someday. Glad you're finally there; I'm sure it's amazing. We will continually pray for you all.
-Shannon Schneider

Anonymous said...

Strong work, Dr. Fader! God is good and will keep you all in his care.

Sandy said...

Are you in Bomet, Faders???

Philip said...

I love the picture of Abi.

Have the Faders landed?

God speed.

Anonymous said...

Heather, I can so relate to your Dutch thriftiness. We never throw things away if it has some future use. One difference is on the gas tank issue...we would always fill it at 1/4 tank full (and I still do.) Pictures are great. I hope your adjustment period is quick. We are praying for you.
Judy M